Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Renovation Time! (edited)

It seems like no matter how perfect a build is at first glance, there always seems to be a few things that you want to change. I rezzed my new skybox on ground level, got it situated comfortably on my parcel to allow me space on all sides, then I sent it skyward. I had already done my homework to find out where in the sky I could put it so that there wouldn't be all kinds of neighbors around me, and I did that by checking out odd elevations. 

A lot of people will go for even numbers up in the sky. So instead of checking at 1000 meters, 1500 meters, 2000 meters, etc., I chose an odd number of 1320 meters. It was perfect, so that's where I sent my new place. 

As I take my own advice, I then put some landscaping down on ground level, to get that out of the way, and ensure that I wouldn't overdo my skybox and run out of LI before I had a chance to do it. It's not amazing, but it does the job. 

I then tp'd up to the skybox, and figured out what I wanted to fix. The first thing was the doors to the room where I wanted to put the kitchen and dining area. They had to go, because I wanted that room open to the living area. To do that, I clicked "Edit" on the skybox and checked "Edit Linked". I selected the two doors, and clicked the "Unlink" button, to unlink them from the rest of the skybox. As I planned to repurpose them, I didn't delete them, just moved them out of the way. 

(Edited to add...When unlinking pieces/parts from a build, it CAN cause issues. If you unlink the root prim, and there are any scripts or anything in it, it can cause things to stop working. Unlinking in mesh creations can also mess up the physics of the item. Always make sure that anything you adjust is copy/mod, so if it blows up on you, you can rez a new one. Testing first is important!)

Here's the Before and After:

Once that was done, I went into the bed/bath suite, where I wanted to ADD some doors. Right now, the two doors I was going to repurpose opened out, and I wanted them to slide, as I planned to make them pocket doors. So I went to the Marketplace, and found a cheap and easy script to use. I then edited each of the doors, went to the "Contents" tab, and deleted the script that was in them, and replaced it with the new sliding door script. 

I added some pillars from the Fancy Decor - Classic Wall Panel Kit to either side of the door opening to form the "pockets" for the doors, did my best to tint them to match the surrounding environment, and maneuvered the repurposed doors into the doorframe, and fiddled with them until I had them centered. With the new script, I set them up by clicking and holding on them until the setup menu appeared, and again fiddled with them until they opened up the way I wanted them too, and as far open as I wanted. 

Here's the Before and After (and After, Opened):




Now that I knew that my bathroom would have a little privacy, there was just one more simple change to make. While the bedroom came complete with a fireplace, the living area did not, and I generally prefer having a fireplace in the living area, as a gathering point to put the rest of my furniture around. So I decided to block the center window, and put the fireplace there. 

To do so, I used the Fancy Decor - Simple Wall Panel to block the window, stretching it until it fit properly. It also comes with a HUD to let you adjust the color some, so I used that, then edited it to get the color to (mostly) match. For the fireplace, I used the Scarlet Creative - Cordelia Fireplace. It's a gacha, so I won't link to any here, but I did find one on the Marketplace for as low as 119 L$. I honestly might swap it for the Dysfunctionality - Christine Fireplace, as that fireplace is lower in LI, and has a TON of different colors and textures, and controls for the fire itself. It's an amazing deal for the price, and comes in both a wall and corner option. 

And here's the last Before and After:


So for the next post, we'll actually get started on decorating! I'll be away for a long weekend, but hopefully I can get started on that next week. Bought a new kitchen set that I'll be featuring, so we'll see how that goes. 

Everyone take care, and have a great rest of the week! (And if you ever have any questions, or need any help, hit me up in the comments or inworld! My full name is Skye Donardson.) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment